Saturday, July 10, 2010

Alert The Media

I, Alycia of Fit n Fresh, woke up on a Saturday morning at (drumroll please) 7 am!! Guys, I can't even tell you the last time I saw this time of day on a Saturday. And it doesn't count if I was still up since Friday night either. I can't believe all the things I've already accomplished so far today and it's only 10:30!

Let's all share in my joy.

First, I made a nice Green Monster - that was actually green! That's how I knew it was going to be a good day.


Into the blender went:
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 1 cup spinach
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 scoop Designer Whey French Vanilla
  • 1/2 Tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp spirulina
I drank it out on the back deck and boy was it beautiful out. Warm, but not hot. And the view was just so gorgeous I had to take a picture.


My backyard is just so lovely at 7:30 in the morning. I decided to get my run out of the way at that point and finished my 3 miles today in 31:08. Oh yeahhhh early mornings are for me! I followed up my run with breakfast number 2:


White Chocolate Wonderful on 12 Grain Bread. I really need to get ahold of some millet bread, I've heard such good things about it. After I was all breakfasted out, I showered my dirty self and went to the new farmers market that just started today!


Unfortunately, there were only like 5 stands there. Bummer. But I did manage to get my little mitts on some of these:


Garlic Scapes! I've been wanting to try them ever since I saw them on OhSheGlows. I definitely will be making Angela's Garlic Scape Pesto later today - booyah.

Have you ever tried garlic scapes? Recipes please!

Well lovebugs I'm off! I've got to make some lunch, visit the boyfriend, pump out a quick strength routine and go to work - have a great day! (:

18 comments:

  1. I love going to the farmer's market early Saturday morning! And your GM looks great. I made one today and my sister thought it was polyjuice potion, like from Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go with all you accomplished this morning! your backyard is beautiful. I have never cooked with garlic scapes, but i did make an awesome pesto last night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo another person on to garlic scapes!! I think they're awesome - I made a pesto similar to the other Angela's (only mine wasn't vegan because it used real parmesan) and I've used them in stir fry dishes as well. Let me know what you think!

    Oh, and I was up with the birds this morning too... 6:00! I can't sleep in, even if I try! Like you said, it does allow you to get a heck of a lot more done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of garlic scapes! They look like scallions.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it wonderful to get up so early and get stuff done?? I teach a class every Saturday morning at 8:30 and it really gets met up and moving. Sometimes smaller farmers markets actually have better stuff! The garlic scapes are beautiful. I've never tried them. Have a wonderful rest of the weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. 7am on a Saturday?! Dear Lord! I was still snoozing happily in my bed. But sounds like your day was much more productive than mine.

    I've seen garlic scrapes around in blogs, but never in person. Would love to try them though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not tried garlic scapes and I think you're the 3rd person to mention them. Girl, I wish I could have slept until 7 today. I was too excited for the day I had planned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, thank you so freaking much for finding my blog because it made me discover you and I'm almost 100% positive that reading your About Me was the most entertaining thing I have done all day.

    In other news.. GARLIC SCAPES! I just bought some today for the first time too.. at a farmers market.. and I'm planning to make Garlic Scape Pesto.. because I saw it on Oh She Glows.. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Going to the farmers market is one of my favourite Saturday habits:)

    And your green monster looks so healthy

    ReplyDelete
  10. @highonhealthy - Ha! That's amazing! I think we can be considered twins today (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I were a morning person like you!!! I just can't bring myself to getting up that early unless i have to...you get SO much more done when you do!! And get to see the beautiful dawn like in your back yard!

    Bummer about the farmers market...I'm sure once it starts happening more vendors will participate, hopefully! Thanks for finding me, so that I could find you!! I LOVE your blog! Your eating rules crack me up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only made OSG's pesto with the scapes I got my hands on! And a Frittata - I just chopped them up and threw them in the mix. I meant to also make some scape hummus but I ran out of scapes before I could attempt it :/

    I'm normally a morning person on the weekends but I think I was too sleep deprived this week! I slept in until 9 this morning which is pretty much unheard of! I usually get up around 6:30 or 7!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Waking up early on the weekends are the best! I feel so accomplished. That did not happen today, but will tomorrow! Early morning run in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You absolutely HAVE to try millet bread!

    ReplyDelete
  15. gorgeous pic of the green monster, they're so photogenic! I work at a farmer's market which just got in garlic scapes and it was the first time I had seen them, I'll be looking out for some recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love my mornings too :) My mom has a million garlic scapes in her garden and we never know what to do with them. If you get any good ideas please share with me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. mm i love a simple bread combo like that right there! oh and welcome to saturday 7am girl! lol.. i see it all to often haha

    YAY FOR GREEN MONSTERSSSS!!!

    ReplyDelete